Safe removal of mercury-laden amalgam fillings from your dentist in Sebastopol
Every day, increasing numbers of people are having their mercury silver (also known as silver amalgam) fillings removed and replaced with safer and more natural alternatives. Amalgam fillings are composed of up to 50 percent mercury, which can release toxic vapors when warmed through daily activities such as brushing teeth, chewing food, or even professional cleanings by a dental professional.
Patients may wish to have their mercury fillings removed for many reasons. Whether it is for cosmetic, personal, or health reasons, Drs. Senn and Mann and the team at Whole Health Dentistry in Sebastopol, can safely remove the mercury amalgam fillings and replace them with a safe, tooth-colored composite.
When deciding to have mercury amalgam fillings removed, it is important to choose a provider who takes the proper precautions and follows protocol for safe removal of the fillings. Drs. Senn and Mann take the following precautions to guarantee the safety of our patients and team:
- Cooling of the fillings during removal. We ensure that the filling is kept cool with water and air during the drilling process to reduce the amount of mercury vapors released.
- Rubber Dams are used to isolate the tooth to make extraction of filling material easier and keep the amalgam particles from being swallowed.
- Non-latex gloves are used due to their decreased likelihood of absorbing vapors from the mercury.
- Proper suction is critical when removing mercury fillings. We use high volume suction system to minimize exposure to toxic vapors and particles.
- Use of an alternative air source. Patients will breathe oxygen during the entire removal process.
- Proper disposal protocol. Our office will immediately dispose of all materials in the appropriate manner to ensure the patient and staff’s safety, and to ensure hazardous materials are not reintroduced into the environment.
The team at Whole Health Dentistry in Sebastopol is committed to providing safe removal of mercury silver fillings. Their proven and effective approach focuses on the safety of the patient. If you have mercury amalgam fillings and are interested in a consultation with us to discuss your options for having them safely removed, call us today at 707 549-6333.